Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Sick and The Lucky

Both kids are sick this week. Not like horrible ER visit sick, just colds. But it means the 15 month old is a snotty mess and the baby has a cough that makes her sound like someone who has been smoking unfiltered camels for 20 years. Sick enough that if I had to rely on day care they would have had to stay home.

This brings me to the lucky. Because my husband is a stay at home dad I didn't have to worry about that. Even though it was hard to leave my 2 month old who just wanted to cuddle and whimper in my arms this morning, I wasn't faced with the challenge so many parents are. What to do when the kids are sick. For so many parents it means calling in sick to work, taking vacation time or worse having to take the day unpaid. And even those parents who have the time to take struggle with who stays home, balancing work and family responsibilities.

So as one of the lucky ones, I am grateful. But I know we need to find a better way to handle this. Companies need to be more respectful of time off for parents. There needs to be a way to shift the balance back toward the family and away from work. Because our kids need us, and when a kid is sick whether with a bad cold or something worse parents shouldn't have to worry about anything but helping their child to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment