Monday, January 9, 2012

Before the work day started...

I work from home most Mondays. And most Mondays this means I am up around 5:30 and get to spend a few hours with the kids and husband before my work day starts. I love these days because I don't have to worry about getting make-up on or my hair done. I can feed my son breakfast and not worry about getting egg on my suit or syrup in my hair.

Today started at 1am when the baby (who is now sick) woke up coughing and spitting up. This went on and on through attempts at feedings and rocking until she finally settled down around 5am when the dog started barking frantically waking our son who started screaming waking the baby who again started to sniffle and cry.

My husband, it turns out had failed to read the new dog food serving size accurately and so had fed the puppy too much food...so much food that the dog had explosive diarrhea in her crate. The dog was caked in poop, the crate was caked in poop even the door to let her out of the crate was caked in poop. Despite all this the puppy was wagging its tale. We quickly devised a plan...the baby went in the pack in play in the living room, my husband took the dog out and would get our son up one he had the dog inside. I took the crate outside and began to try to clean it(I think I get extra points since it was 10 degrees out this morning and so within a few minutes I was dealing with frozen poop). By 7:30 this morning I had scrubbed clean a dog crate caked with poop, given a poop covered puppy a bath, changed two sick kids nasty diapers and fed the baby.

Normally by 8:30 when I slip away to my office I leave behind a small sense of longing. This morning, I lied about an 8am call and couldn't have been happier to shut the door behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment