Thursday, January 12, 2012

A 6yr Old's Advice To Her Working Mother

So my daughter asks me, "Why do Mommys that work have to go to work everyday?" ... I then respond with the explanation that some Mommys work part-time and some Mommys work full-time. And Mommys that work full-time work 5 days a week. My daughter responds with "Oh, I understand". There was a pause in her response, and then she offered up this brilliant suggestion that only the logic of a 6 year old would understand: "Why don't you just fire yourself, that way you could get a job that pays more money and you could have more days off!". I giggled a little and told her that was a very interesting suggestion. My daughter's next piece of advice to me was to simply retire. Then she asked how a person does retire. She really cracks me up. I admire her innocent and hopeful view of the world. Everything is a matter of simplicity to her. It makes me happy that my daughter doesn't yet grasp how complicated the world can be. I did explain to her why I would have to delay my retirement for just a "few more years". My daughter then told me that if people wanted, she would give them free lemonade and free hot chocolate. That way no one would have to work. I do wish one thing for both my girls when they are my age. I wish that they do not struggle and wrestle back and forth with the decision to be a working Mother. For some it isn't a choice, it is just merely what needs to be. However, for me, I want to understand why I was raised to want certain things... college, a career... These things matter. But, not half as much as my two sweet girls. "If all the snowflakes were candy bars and milk shakes, oh what a world that would be!"

No comments:

Post a Comment