Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Meaning Behind First Words

My 15 month old is learning to talk which is a wonderful advancement. He has mastered "dada" and "nana" and "more". He can say "pop pop" and "puppy" and "cat." And better yet he ascribes accurate meaning to those words. He knows what they mean or who they represent.

There are key words missing from his vocabulary. Most notably "mama", which I can't help but think is because I am the person he sees the least. Dada is a stay at home dad and so my sons primary playmate and caretaker. Nana takes care of him one day a week, Pop Pop is staying at our house for a while to help with the new baby and the puppy. The puppy is cool. The cat is fun to chase and if you say "more"...well someone is going to give you more of whatever you have.

But mama is a person right now who sweeps in and out of his life. He has ascribed the only other word he can say to me, and it breaks my heart. With a little wave, he sees his mama and says: "bye bye".

No comments:

Post a Comment